Tuesday, October 12, 2010

feedback

Here is the feedback from my workshop in class today. I read a poem about having a crush on a boy. 
"The subject itself is fine, if not a bit played out. Then again, the the reality of stomach butterflies will never go away for as long as humans are around, so I suppose we could just keep writing about it until the end of time and it would still hold the same power. From here I'm really not sure what else to say. It is what it is; a raw interpretation of anxiety over a meeting with a crush. If I were to say something, it would be that it seems like the feeling of the piece is a little weak. Your goal in writing a poem of this sort should be to get the reader to feel the same as you do about this thing, and I don't quite feeling like it's doing that. Perhaps I just haven't had a serious crush in a long time and am having hard time recalling the exhilaration, but I'm not feeling any excitement from this. All in all, the poem is fine. It's a simple snapshot of something that we as humans are predisposed to experiencing, and in that it serves it's purpose well."

Can you say vindictive, spinster? 

Posted via email from Soy LJ...

0 comments: