Monday, October 4, 2010

the mecca.

I took a trip. Not any trip. This was a trip with 28 of my classmate: Planners, Managers, Copy Writers and Art Directors. And Jeff. To the mecca of my world. NYC for AdWeek. 

It all started with a redeye Sunday night and ended with a rejuvenated love for what I do. 

Yes...the week was filled with parties, pizza, performances and tons of fun. Yes I did get to bump heads with the big wigs. David Droga. Gorden Bowen. Russell Simmons. John Legend. Andrew Keller. To name a few. 

But the week was so much more. Its kind of hard to explain to an outsider. Every time someone asks me how New York was, I try to explain to them my feelings. But they just don't understand. Advertising is my love. It's so much more then selling product. Its about really making a difference in the world with the skill that I've been given. The Million excited kids about school. The Tap Project raised money for clean water around the world. The Trillion Dollar Campaign raised awareness for injustice in South Africa. In the words of David Droga "We have the responsibility to do good with our minds." 

Visiting agencies made me excited to get out there and make a difference. I got a taste of the culture of each agency. I definatly had my favorites...Droga 5, Naked, Grey and mcgarrybowen. But I did come to the conclusion, that I could go and thrive anywhere I get a job. My program has prepared me. I feel that I know the industry. That I have a hold of what is going on. I know how to present and how to work with clients. 

Yet there is so much I can still be doing. So many boundaries to push. So much unexplored territory. I still have a lot more growing to do before I finish school. When ever that is. 

Here are just a few of my favorite quotes from the week.

"Be a place that allows the best people to do the best creative work possible" W+K

"All good ideas start somewhere" W+K

"Make the most of the experiences you are given" mcgarrybowen

"Create movements with a purpose" Droga 5

"Reach people where they are" Droga 5

"Do the right thing for the brand" Naked

"There is a better way. People are your partner. Everything Communicates. See the full picture." Naked

"Be humble to ideas" McCann

"Tell an interesting story" McCann 

Posted via email from Soy LJ...

0 comments: