Monday, August 31, 2009

The YMCA and A Whole Lot of Spanish.

On Friday, all of the teachers from our group went to a YSA dance in Puebla. AMAZING!!!!!! Everyone dances. And I mean really dances. Not just jumping around pretending, but actually dancing. It so much fun. I danced the whole night with the same boy. He was major crushing on me. He was shorter then me and had longer hair then me. He was really patient with me and tried to teach me some simple steps even though we couldn't really communicate. At the end of the night, in broken English, he asked for my number. Lucky my ride home graped at the right time. We met someother Americans there too! Not going to lie--When I find someone who speaks English I get really excited. I also met someother cool people who spoke English. I have never been so happy to hear the YMCA in my life. First: Its was in English. Second: I got to teach the dance to everyone. The funnest part about the dance was that it was held in the chapel. They just pushed the pews to the side. In Mexico every room has a double duty. Being at the dance forced me to speak Spanish. I understand most of what is being said, but I'm not confident speaking. When I'm with the Carlys, I rely on them instead of stepping out side of my comfort zone and speaking.
Saturday morning all of the teachers got together to decorate our school. We painted a garden on one wall, a world on another, clouds and teachers on another. The school looks awesome!

My Masterpiece!

ILP World with the Teachers' Hands

I'm on the Top Left

My other Masterpiece!

On Saturday night, the Carlys and I went to the movies with Carly Laga's host family. We saw a kid movie so it was doubbed in Spanish. I was so proud that I understood most of what was happening. Then on Sunday, I got 75% of what was going on. The missionaries gave me a Spanish Book of Mormon. I started reading them side by side and its really cool to see how much I've been picking up. Everyday I'm learning more and building more confidence in the language.

0 comments: