Sunday, September 20, 2009

Taxco--A Magic Town

We got five days off of school...so the Carlys and I decided to go to the magic town of Taxco. It is truly the jem of Mexico. Words can describe how beautiful it was. Its built into the side of a mountain so the streets have so much character. Cobblestone, steep and narrow. Its about a four hour bus ride from Puebla. Its know for its silver mines, so it was one of the first areas to fall to Spanish rule. The town looks like something from Europe. Every morning the fog rolls and every afternoon it rains...actually more like it pours. They don't have a good drainage system so the streets turn in rivers. We where there for Dia de Independencia (Mexico's version of 4th of July) so it was light with red, green and white lights everywhere. The first day we got there, we did some major silver shopping. Every Saturday, the streets turn into one of the biggest silver markets in the world. 3,000 silversmiths come to town to show off their work. I got some really cool pieces. My favorite is a simple silver band. That night we ate tacos el pastor with pineapple. This is the only way to eat tacos...trust me. Then we headed back to our hostel and ate ice cream and had some serious girl talk. Sunday we got up and walked to the Zocalo...my favorite place in the city. There we had the best Mexican breakfast, Arroz con Leche and Narajarade (Basically OJ with a lot more sugar). We spent that day shopping, going to cathedrals and eating. Carly Laga bought some sweet kicks at the Black Market...it was legit. I even saw some drug deals. We met this awesome women, Martha. We bought Mexican blankets from her. We told her that Mexican people are so happy...she let us in on their secret... TEQUILA! She would have invited us to drink with her, but we told her that we didn't like it. I also got some cool jewelry for my cousins, a really cool serving plate for me and lot of other fun treasures. That night we head back to the Zocalo for dinner. We ate at this cute restaurant that over looked the square. I ordered a pina colada sin liquor. Our waiter was so funny...when he brought it to me he told me that it had double rum. Then we got ice cream and sat in the center and talked. I can't tell you how much I love the center. It gives the city such a sense of community. It brings together all kinds of people. I really wish that American cities had them. We then head back to our hostel and sat on the roof that over looked the main cathedral in Taxco. The next day we got up and just walked around Taxco. Mid afternoon it started to downpour. The streets where literally rivers. After the rain stopped, we went back to the hostel and tanned on the roof. That night was my favorite memory of Mexico. We went late night restaurant hopping. We ended up at the local teen hang out for hot chocolate and cheesecake. It overlooked the whole city...it was beautiful! In the word of Carly Laga "There may or may not have been wedding planning involved." We got up on Tuesday morning, Carly Laga was sick. We didn't realize how sick she was, so Carly Tai and I left her at the hostel while we went on a gonadal ride up the mountain. It was gorgeous! I'm telling you that Taxco is the city of love. When we got back to the hostel, we realized how sick Carly L was. She passed out in the shower. Thus our new adventure begins.










0 comments: