Thursday, November 5, 2009

dias de los muertos

November 1st and 2nd, the Catholic Mexicans celebrate Dias de los Muertos. Day of the Dead. They believe that their loved ones come and visit them for 24 hours. They are greeted by olferenda (alters) with there favorite foods and pastimes. Trails of marigold peddles lead the way for the dead. A family spends up to $5,000 on the alters to honor the dead. They invite you in their homes to celebrate their love ones lives. We didn't have school, so Carly, Ameila and I headed off to Huaquechula to see the alters with their family. It was really differant then I thought that it would be. I was expecting
a big party, but it was a hoilday of mourning. They people that this is the only connection that they have with dead. I'm so grateful for the Gospel of Christ and the knowledge that I will see my loved ones again. After seeing all of the alters, we went and got mole. The gross kind. Then I ate a grasshopper. Dead. Tasted like sheep stomach. People love them here. They are a special treat. Afterwards we went to Metapec, a vacation resort. We spent the afternoon swimming, playing soccer, basketball and volleyball. It was great to get back into a pool.
Day of the Dead Bread. It tastes like Swedish Christmas Bread.

A small portion of an alter

Twinners. Didn't even plan it.

0 comments: