Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New School Year, New Job, New Major?

This is year is all about fresh starts. My two really good friends are both away on study aboard, all the boys from my freshmen year are gone on missions, and still other friends are scattered through out Provo. I feel like I'm a freshman, starting from the beginning. Most of it has to do with my new job, an RA in Wyview. It is my first job that has nothing to do with the water. I feel like I have no idea how to do anything. Most of my group is returning RAs with a ton of experience. My girls are AWESOME! There haven't been any big issues beside noise. Some of the hard things include: dealing with Honor Code Issues, fitting in as both a RA and friends, being the same age as the girls, and not living with my friends. For the most part I do really enjoy it. It’s so nice to have predictable hours and my own room! I also love just talking to my girls. It really exciting to see them do things and learn.


So far this semester I seem to like all of my classes.
Here the schedule:
Communications 101: Mass Communications in Society
Communications 211: News Writing
Communications 230: Intro to Adverting
RMYL 301: Family Recreation
REL c 342: Church History from 1845-1900
ST DEV 452: RA Class

I'm really excited about my Adverting class. We are going to put together a whole campaign. Also we are required to keep an Ad file. Every point we learn in class we have to find an Ad to support it. I love doing projects in class. I love doing research and watching everything come together. 211 is kind of boring, but I'm excited to do interviews. For my birthday my Dad got me a recorder and a reporter's notepad. Now when I'm working on an article I'll feel legit. Comms 101 is dry, but my group seems really fun. My favorite class so far has been RMLY 301. Everything in the class is so applicable to my life. The class is based off the Family: A Proclamation to the World. Its super cool how Sis. Johnson incorporates the Gospel with contemporary thinking about Families and recreations. On Fridays we just play games!

I'm thinking about changing my major from Advertising, emphasizing in Design to Recreation Management, emphasizing in Youth Leadership. First of all if I get into the Advertising program, but then don't get accepted into the Creative track, I have no desire to spend the rest of my life buying media time. Second, I love kids. This summer I had the opportunity to spend the summer teaching kids how to swim all summer. I love watching kids learn. I also when to Girls Camp as a Counselor. It was so fun! The camp director, Del said that I had a nature knack for what I was doing and I LOVED IT!!! During High School I worked with our 5th grade camp program and had a blast. Third, I want to do something that leaves an impact on the world. I feel that my working with Youth that I can give them a foundation that will effect future generations. Advertising just doesn't leave a positive impact on the world. I never want to spend a day in my life sitting in an office staring at a computer screen.

Friends from RA training

My Building: Wyview #13

0 comments: